Friday, March 5, 2010

Me and My Car

My car is 2 years old today. What I mean by that is that I have had it for 2 years. It's a 1996 Mitsubishi Galant.

They say that people often resemble their pets and I am inclined to agree. As a matter of fact I can even justify extending that viewpoint to include people and their cars. Take me and my car as a case in point.

We are both, as you can see by the picture, primarily gray and a bit battered in places. We both need a little TLC to get us going in the morning. For me it's iced tea, for the car it's radiator fluid and check the oil.

We're both a little tired and I figured out the reason why. I have traveled 3 times around the world with lots of extra miles operating at sea, add to that all of my road trips and commutes and I have logged about 189,000 miles. So has my car.

There are, in both cases, some bows to things modern. I love music and cherish my scan sticks. The car has a USB port. We were made for one another.

When I bought the car I was ill and wondered if I was going to make it. The car was in the same shape. Now here I am 2 years later and both the car and I are stabilized. Don't get me wrong, I'm not ready for the Olympics and the car isn't going to be doing the Daytona 500 anytime soon, but we are comfortable with one another and our individual quirks.

So I guess we're like Roy Rogers and Trigger, sidekicks forever on a sunset trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment